Monday, February 29, 2016

Slow Weekend, and Dinner with Students

Well, we had a very slow weekend around here. We intended to drive to Dundee to partake of their fabulous new leisure center, complete with indoor pool, lazy river and water slides, but it didn't work out. David took the kids to the park in the morning but when Leah came home, asleep in the "pushchair" she looked pretty sick. I could tell her fever was back. So, I spent the afternoon lying next to her in bed as she slept. It did give me a chance to finish the doll blanket I was crocheting, and while she slept I started watching the new Michael Pollan documentary on Netflix called Cooked. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. The first episode, called Fire, isn't great...it's ostentatious and repetitive. However, episode 2, called "water" is worth your time for sure.

John was also feeling a little low on energy too on Saturday. I don't think he was sick as much as worn out from the week. On Thursdays, he has 90 minutes of football training after school followed by 90 minutes of rugby training that evening, and I think it is too much. Plus, he came home from tihs week's training saying that he was "gutted" that he didn't get a chance to touch the ball at training, and they are still in try-out mode so he was hoping to impress his coach. On the other hand, he was "chuffed" that he was chosen to represent Priory House (think Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, etc...) for football in the house competition.

On Sunday, only Emma and David made it to church, though I did go with Emma in the afternoon to the West Sands beach in town for a walk. It was a lovely, sunny day and the beach was so crowded that I had a hard time finding a spot at the car park. There were so many families spread out on the wide sandy beach that I felt like I was at the Jersey shore, except the temperature was much colder and everyone was wearing a lot more clothing! After the beach, we stopped at the store to buy groceries for dinner, as our students were coming over to discuss our upcoming trip to England. I decided to make a few lasagnas for dinner, but since my usual recipe doesn't translate to grams and liters too well, I went with a recipe I found online. It was a bit bizarre...it called for a bechamel sauce but no ricotta cheese, which I managed. It also called for cheddar cheese on top, and I couldn't imagine that working out well, so I went ahead and used mozzarella for that. I made one lasagna with "mince" and one with veg, and they both turned out ok, though way too browned on top from our inoperable oven. We had a bit of a time gathering enough plates and forks for everyone in this relatively ill-equipped kitchen, but the students didn't mind using a combination of mismatched, plastic, and IKEA kids' stuff. Leah rallied enough in the evening to bop around among the students, but by 7:30 she came up to me and said, "I'm ready for bed!"


No comments:

Post a Comment