Thursday, January 21, 2016

One Step Backward...



So, we have inevitably hit a bit of a rough patch over the last day. The excitement of being back and trying so many new things is slowly wearing off, and I think everyone is starting to realize that we are going to be here for a really, really long time. We are still not fully adjusted to the five hour time change and we are struggling to adapt to the reduced number of hours of sunlight (sunrise is 8:30 am, and sunset is about 4:15pm). We’re still finding our way around the rental house, cursing the light switch locations and the heating system, neither of which is quite right. And we are trying to establish a routine for everyone, but it has been a struggle.

All three kids are struggling a bit with the idea of school here. Emma is really missing her friends, and has started to suggest that the idea of home schooling might be a good one. She managed to weasel out of taking any of the “prelims” over the next week, but she’s still unhappy at school. She doesn’t like the uniform, and she is very aware of all that she is missing at home right now, as her friends are preparing for a big dance this weekend, and spending many hours at practice for the spring musical...an activity in which she would otherwise be involved. While she’s enjoying her classes, she is concerned that she is covering different things and therefore missing quite a bit back home. I’m thankful that the small group of friends with which the head teacher set her up in the first few days has stuck with her, and I keep reminding her to be kind to them and get to know them, as I think having that group of girls around her might soften the otherwise hard edges of being the new kid.

John in his uniform on the way home from school
John is faring a bit better. He’s negotiating the friend situation as well, though he is benefitting from having a few of the same kids in his class that he knew in 2011. He’s sorting through the various social groups and trying to find his place. He did tell me the other day about an incident with one of the school “tuffs,” in which John was left standing alone with this kid and the kid whispered a series of threats to John. John didn’t understand anything the kid was saying, of course, but when some of his friends standing nearby overheard, they stepped in to shut the kid up. John didn’t seem too worried about it, and so I’m assuming it’s just a sizing-each-other up situation, like dogs at a dog park, etc.

My poor little Leah, on the other hand, is really struggling. She’s not terribly fond of her little school at all, and when we turn into the drive that leads to the farm, her bottom lip comes out and her eyes fill with tears. When we arrived yesterday it was morning snack time, and I was hoping that would ease the transition. It wasn’t to be, however: when the teacher informed Leah that the class was eating “beans on toast,” Leah replied, “Why?” I tried not to smile. After snack (Leah did accept the offer of toast, but passed on the beans), the kids gathered at the sink to brush their teeth (another Scottish thing, apparently). The teacher asked Leah to choose a toothbrush by selecting one of several symbols that was painted onto a large box of brushes. She pointed to a beach ball symbol, and the teacher said, “Well done, then, Leah, you will have the football!” I can imagine that the daily tooth brush activity is going to cause a bit of confusion for Leah going forward after that. I ducked out while they brushed their teeth, and when I returned after lunch the teacher reported that Leah had only cried for about 30 minutes after I left. This morning, she was in full tears as we walked in, and kept asking me if I could stay. I had to turn her over to the teacher’s arms, and Leah was actually squirming and wailing as I left….which is always a killer and puts a real damper on the rest of the day, no matter what the after-school report turns out to be.

Leah is the one on the right in the pink flowered suit with the green hat. I'm not sure who is holding her hand here, though I greatly appreciate it. Likely some kid called Callum or Gregor, but whomever it is I will find out and thank him properly, as she's looking a bit overwhelmed here.

I know from previous experience that the first few weeks are hard, and that we are all tested and tried in different ways. I’m telling myself that this morning, over and over again, in the hopes that these first few hard days will pass quickly!




3 comments:

  1. It shall pass indeed, my friend. Especially Leah - they are so resilient. That said, I know well that look of a two year old betrayed by your departure. The worst.

    They brushed their teeth after meals at Masonic Care in Utica, too!
    Enjoying your writing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It shall pass indeed, my friend. Especially Leah - they are so resilient. That said, I know well that look of a two year old betrayed by your departure. The worst.

    They brushed their teeth after meals at Masonic Care in Utica, too!
    Enjoying your writing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (This is Raj): Iain went through a very rough patch at the beginning of Acorn. It is so different from CNS (even though Iain insisted on referring to it as his "Scottish CNS"). I went through two or three weeks of tearful/clingy goodbyes, but afterwards he latched on to a particular teacher (who referred to him as her "silly sausage") and he was good to go. When we got back, he talked for a long time about missing his Scottish CNS.

    ReplyDelete